Saturday, July 24, 2010

Riverview Apogee















  
Do you remember how the trail that switchbacked up to the quartz mine seemed to have gone on for miles                               didn't it ?
 Then        like an explosion   !Kablooey!    a quarry 
of gilded and luminescent stone about faced us as if it were a temple.

 Golden alder leaves shimmy like sequins on the dress of a Parisian chanteuse.
  We danced to the songs of
                        Fortuny
                              Lao Tzu    Black Elk   &the Pixies
                        Acropolis        Eames          Gaudi
                        Stonehenge          Chartres          Altamira
                                        Vortex           Filament            lysergic
                                             Bride descending the Staircase     fragment/broken glass
                        Psychokiller.

 Black mica shards cut through my sandals. 
 I crush the quartz in my teeth as if it were ice. 
I once trusted the whiteness (&the wilderness) but now know that darkness was there, wasn’t it?
           Not in the mica but in the caverns of glistening rock.

My heart    was  tender    as    a mountain peak.
 Your's was an alder staff gliding along the river like an otter foraging for salmon.

 I  have replaced my blood with the green of reflected pools and sink holes.
 My hair has grown mossy and wicked.

 You'll live happily ever after now
 as I remain here
 on this hilltop
 you
 once
 hung 
your hat on.