Thursday, March 25, 2010

Red House

 Coming home
 from radiation this morning
 crossing town in the rain
 up Market Street across the Civic Center
 I listen to Jimi Hendrix in my car turned up loud to
drown out the din & the  cacophony of city morning

  I listen to

Jimi play  Red House
 and the guitar wails over the sounds of the busses and around the trench    coated men crossing the street.
 Jimi riffs over the commuters weaving
 in and out
 over and
 across
the cable car tracks and the secretaries in high heels crossing
wet shiny streets and the bass line just now  beat  up  the
shuffle of a  homeless man
carrying  his burden of a lifetime down sidewalks busy
with disinterested workers and mothers with strollers pushing cell phones.

 Jimi made that guitar cry and sing wild moaning  as I tried to breathe in  the diesel fumes and bay water to
erase the smell of rotting flesh.

          Lily.
from Singapore with no time at all really, left opens  her  gown  and
shows me her blackened chest the sores that will not heal the rare cancer
they say is incurable she falls into my arms and I hold her  she cries and in unconsolable holding my breath with nothing I can do nothing pounding me in the head with a mallet.

I hold my breath
                        anticipating
the smell of the gown room in the morning
     sipping a large latte I hold my breath
as
a Chinese woman with her mahogany wigged hair and her blackened nose
rotted out to the cartilage
from a cancer found only in Cantonese women  sits  beside  me  curled  up in a waiting room chair with a big box of coconut cupcakes to give to the nurses .


This morning Jimi sang the blues as I sat in the gown room as the only woman there this morning without a wig on.
My black watch cap pulled down low over my head no shield for all the
astonishment of sacrifice and worry
no match for the absence of eyelash, eyebrow the soft duff of fine peach fuzz on my chin no more statement of purpose rather than style no more
ode to my vanity than a wish for warmth to come from somewhere

 there’s a red house over yonder and
 rain pounds the asphalt and traffic snarls
 as the guitar growls and leaps heights of fury and crescendo
 and spit fire the blues
 remain
 here
 resident .

04/05/06
Saturn goes direct
San Francisco